The firm has a well-developed practice in insurance, with particular experience with insurance issues related to bankruptcies. Our insurance expertise with bankruptcy issues has allowed us to represent insurance holding companies, as well as assisting debtors with captive insurance companies, complicated insurance programs, and significant coverage issues, all to maximize their opportunity to reorganize successfully. Moreover, the firm has a demonstrated expertise in dealing with insurance issues and section 524 (g) of the Bankruptcy Code in the reorganization or liquidation of companies affected by asbestosis. We have also developed a national practice of representing creditors’ committees in the bankruptcies of Catholic dioceses and religious orders in which we have been involved in obtaining insurance for the victims of sexual abuse.
We also have a track record with insurance insolvencies and the complex relationship between bankruptcy concepts and state insurance insolvency proceedings.
Our insurance expertise and knowledge have resulted in substantial litigation representation. Our attorneys have litigated insurance coverage disputes regarding reinsurance, D & O and environmental issues, as well as insurance issues arising out of bankruptcies, including complex jurisdictional disputes involving bankruptcy and state insurance insolvency proceedings.
Insurance litigation subpractice areas:
- Brokers, agents, and intermediaries
- D&O and other insurance coverage
- Guaranty associations
- Holding Company Act and holding company bankruptcies
- Insurance regulation
- Life and P&C insurance companies
- Section 524(g)
- Tax insurance issues
- Victims of sexual abuse (religious entity bankruptcies)
- Workers compensation deposits
- ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, August 2004
- American Bankruptcy Institute 34th Annual Spring MeetingWashington DC, April 15, 2016
- Everything You Don't Want to Learn About Directors and Officers' Insurance Policies . . . After It's Too Late!Turnaround Management AssociationWebinar, September 24, 2015
- IAIR Insolvency Workshop 2013Savannah GA, January 30, 2013